A hundred years earlier the early Harewood settlers were also working towards getting a church in their own district. The settlement of Christchurch began with the arrival of the first four ships in 1850. Those taking up land in Harewood found that hard work produced good results from the fertile land, and by the end of the decade they had established a thriving community. Still, the nearest church was Papanui, three miles of rough track away. In 1860 the Government made five acres of land available provided the community could raise money to build a church within ten years. After two years of fund-raising and pledges led by the Stanleys, Dureys and Nunweeks, the first wooden church of St James' was opened on 13 April 1862. As part of the Parish of Papanui, St James' flourished through the years and the present church at the top of Harewood Road was built debt-free in 1935.
In 1966 St James' combined with the newly built A-frame church in Bishopdale to form the Mission District of Bishopdale-Harewood. This was a happy mix of the established Harewood families and the young and enthusiastic families of the new district of Bishopdale. Unfortunately enthusiasm was not enough to financially support two small churches, so in 1983 St Timothy’s incorporated St James' into the thriving Parish of Burnside. The association of the two churches worked well, adding to the already wide range of worship and activities within the Parish, later renamed “The Parish of Burnside-Harewood.”